[LM022186], Letter from Charles Patterson Bruch to Ezra Torrance Gilliland, October 9th, 1888


View document with UniversalViewer   → View document on Archive.org  → Re-use this digital object via a IIIF manifest


[LM022186], Letter from Charles Patterson Bruch to Ezra Torrance Gilliland, October 9th, 1888

Editor's Notes

"On receipt of your cable message concerning settlement with J.H.L. I went at once to 160—found him out of town. Saw him next morning, he agreed to your proposition—and I cabled you accordingly. Kitchen drew contract, which I submitted to his attorney. On the following Friday we executed contracts, without alteration. L. gave me cheque for $24,985.00 and handed over three notes—due Nov. Dec. & Jany. 15th without grace, together with the two ctfs—(769 shares) surrendered by you on Aug. 1st. This made up the 3847 shares, collateral; all of which is in my hands except two ctfs. Of 154 shares each, which belong to Tomlinson and were not left with me. Tomlinson was to hand them over when he returned, as you will remember. I cbled you this—and after receiving your cable instructing me to do so, deposited the $5000.00 cheque to Tomlinson’s credit. The stock is in box at N.Y. Safety Deposit Co’s vaults, together with notes and contract. I took the box in names of Chas. P. Bruch and Ezra T. Gilliland (No. 2621, Password “Lillian”) when you get here, will have it put in your name alone. ### This arrangement secures your money. The only possible loss you can now incur—as it seems to me—would be in the event of Tomlinson’s refusal to surrender the two ctfs.—for the custody of which as collateral, you are responsible. I had some hesitation about that, but there was no time to communicate with you, as I overlooked the fact that those certificates were not in my hands until I got the note from the vaults to show Lippincott when we were all ready to close the matter, so I went ahead rather than delay it until Monday. L. wished to be assured—of course, that the stock had not been disposed of. He mentioned to me that he had made two payments to Edison of 124,00.00 each—which was the first information of that I had been able to obtain and which I cabled you. He said Edison has “come down from his high horse.” L’s attorney showed him that his letter was not legally binding on L. and he said that L. “could use his own judgment”—which was considered as practically a withdrawal of his objection. L. now controls the old speaking Phonograph Co., having bought Tainter’s stock. ### The Edith is hauled out at Ayer’s yard—Atlantic Yacht Club basin, so [unclear]. Just after I recd. Your letter ordering her laid up,--your cable came saying you would return. I delayed some days waiting to hear again—as I supposed that if you came at once, you would wish to use her—then wired and got your orders to haul out, but again delayed the matter to give the customer a chance to see her and to get your figures. If sold—she would probably have been kept in commission—This is why she was not laid up sooner. I have Wood looking after her insurance. ### I have this morning ordered the furnace fired and a supply of winter coal, and have notified Nora that you will be home by the first. Everything at the house is all right. I presume Mrs. Gilliland has received Nova’s four letters. ### I am sorry you didn’t appreciate the Ft. Myers papers. I heard you remark once that Mrs. Gilliland liked to read them, and I thought she might like to have them over there. I knew you could obtain N.Y. papers if you wanted them. ### Your last letter—dated Sept. 22d—from Continental Hotel Paris—says “I enclose cheque for $500.00 more,”—but no cheque was enclosed. It’s all right, however, as I have money enough to carry us through. ###




Folder/Volume ID


Microfilm ID


Document ID



Thomas A. Edison Papers, School of Arts and Sciences, Rutgers University
Download CSV | JSON